About Us – Company Timeline
In 1989 Gerard Muckian formed GM Steel Ltd as he saw a growing potential in the meat slaughtering industry to provide better quality abattoir equipment.
GM Steel Ltd originally formed with a 4000 sq ft premises and 8 Staff we now have three separate office locations in England and Ireland with a staff of 100.
- Installed our first complete 300 per hour lamb slaughtering line at Kepak Hacketstown in 1991.
- Installed our first 50 per hour beef slaughtering system at Irish Country Meats, Ballyhaunis in 1994.
- Carried out our first overseas contracts in Iceland in 1996.
- Purchased Abachem Engineering in 1999. In doing so we acquired our own brand of aluminium bi-rail.
- Completed first Turnkey/Greenfield project for St Merryn Meats at MerthyrTydfil in 2001.
- Achieved ISO 9002 accreditation in 2002. In 2002, designed and built 2500 lamb capacity pre-chiller for Dungannon Meats: This is the largest of its kind in Europe.
- Purchased Approved Design Limited in 2014.
The company timeline highlights the amalgamation of material and expertise which has strengthened the GM Steel brand making it one of the market leaders in manufacturing and supplying the meat production and processing industries.